Saturday, January 12, 2008

Optimism

I've been reading The Swiss Family Robinson with the kids and its so great! The kids love trying to guess how the family will solve their next problem. They also love to decide what they'd do to solve the problems the family faces if they were in that situation. I'm really enjoying it because the wife in the story is a good example to me. No matter how dismal their situation may seem she keeps her spirits up and looks for opportunities to improve the situation, making life a little more comfortable for everyone around her.

Isn't that the way we should be? No matter how hard the situation may become...aside from keeping a personal relationship with Heavenly Father, the key is to stay optimistic. Sometimes things happen without us being able to control it in any way. They may be the way they are because of others decisions. They'll happen whether or not we want them to happen. But it's our attitude throughout it all that will give the feeling to the memory left behind as we look back upon those harder days.

Optimism does not come naturally to me. Therefore, I have a lot to work on.

1 comment:

Emily Youngdell said...

I have been trying to be optimistic myself especially since our basement just flooded for the second time!! It's so hard sometimes to look on the bright side of life but it definitely makes life more pleasant when you do!